Teacher Education and Professional Year applications for Fall 2017 semester are now closed. Information for Spring 2018 applications will be available in August 2017.
Before students may take upper-division education courses, students must apply to be admitted into Teacher Education and to advance through the program, students must then apply for admission to the Professional Year. Applications are accepted twice per year, and are submitted through Taskstream. Instructions for creating a Taskstream account will be posted again in January.
All applications for admission to Teacher Education or advancement into the Professional Year are due before the semester starts. For example, admission into Teacher Education for the spring semester requires applications to be submitted in the fall:
Admission for Fall semester: Applications due first Friday in February
Admission for Spring semester: Applications due third Friday in September
NOTE: Students applying for the Secondary Education Graduate Certification Program (which begins in the summer semester) are required to apply in February. For those students interested in IDoTeach, please visit the IDoTeach website for more information and to apply. Applications for Teacher Education & the Professional Year are only available on this page during specific windows of time (August/September and January/February). Students must meet required admission criteria (gpa, coursework, test scores, etc.) to be considered for admission. Please DO NOT submit any appeals along with your application – it may be overlooked or inadvertently discarded.
To apply for Teacher Education:
The following is a list of required materials for the Teacher Education application. These admissions materials will be submitted electronically through Taskstream.
The following items/materials are required to be included with the application into Teacher Education. Additional items will be required through Taskstream as well, this is not a comprehensive list (these materials are NOT required for Professional Year applications):
1) Letter of application – Addressed to the Teacher Education Program Admissions Committee, describing:
- your professional experiences relevant to a school teaching program
- reasons for interest in the program, including strengths you bring and perspectives about the role of the teacher and the contributions you hope to make as a teacher
- career goals
2) Current resume – if you need assistance creating or updating your resume, please contact the career center
3) Two Professional Reference Forms – Reference forms will be submitted electronically – you will submit your reference names and email addresses in Taskstream. The Office of Teacher Education will then email your references an electronic reference form to complete on your behalf. Please do not have your references fill out a paper form – they will need to do so electronically. If you have a faculty member fill out these forms, you do not require item 4 below. References will not be contacted until after the September 16th application deadline.
4) Faculty Names – You will need to provide two names of Boise State faculty members who have consented to support your application
5) Core Praxis test(s) scoresheet – The Core Praxis Writing for Educators: Writing test is required for all teacher education students. In addition, the Praxis 1 Math/Core Academic Skills for Educators: Math test is required for all Elementary, Bilingual, Early Childhood, and Special Education students. The test(s) must be completed/passed PRIOR to applying for the teacher education program.
Students who have already scheduled this test through ETS.org are eligible for a refund of 50 percent of their test fees if they cancel at least three full days before the test date, not including the day of the test. More information on refunds through ETS can be found here:
Please note that the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators: Math (#5732) is still required for admission to Elementary Education programs.
*Note – The Praxis I test was changed (as of 9/1/14) to the Core Academic Skills for Educators test. For this application, we will accept either the “old” Praxis I test or the “new” Core Academic Skills for Educators test.
6) If you meet all admission requirements (coursework, GPA, test scores, etc.), you will be invited to participate in a structured interview with members of the Teacher Education Program Admissions Committee. You will be contacted via email to set up your interview date/time. You will also be notified of the Committee’s decision through your Boise State email. For more information regarding the interview process, please see our interview information page.
To apply for the Professional Year:
1) If you applied for Teacher Education in Taskstream, you will just log-in to your Taskstream account & go to the “Applications” program. The Professional Year application is in the same area as where you applied for Teacher Education (left-hand column).
2) If you did not apply for Teacher Education through Taskstream, but already have a Taskstream account from a course, you will need to follow the “Self-Enrollment” instructions. Instructions will be posted again in January.
3) If you do not have a Taskstream account at all, you will need to follow all of the instructions above for applying to Teacher Education.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Lori Pierce-French (208) 426-1528, email@example.com.