Skip to Main Content


Degrees and Programs Offered

The Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Studies culminates in a B.A. in Early Childhood Studies with certification in Blended Early Childhood Education/Early Childhood Special Education Certification.

The department also offers a dual certification in early childhood studies and special education. For more information, see the Bachelor of Arts Special Education-Early Childhood Studies (Option 2) link under ‘Undergraduate and Certification Programs in Special Education’.

Finally the department supports students in pursuing, stand-alone certification in Early Childhood/Early Childhood Special Education.  The Post Baccalaureate Early Childhood Studies Program is designed for educators who already have a degree and are seeking certification alone. This program results in an institutional recommendation for the Idaho Early Childhood/Early Childhood Special Education Blended Certificate.

Degree and Program Requirements

The Department of Special Education and Early Childhood Studies offers a B.A. degree in Early Childhood Studies which is designed to develop professionals who are highly qualified to work with young children from birth to age eight with and without disabilities and their families in a variety of settings.

The department also offers dual certification in early childhood studies and special education in order to prepare educators in (a) K-12 special education, and (b) blended early childhood/early childhood special education. This dual certification program results in the K-12 Idaho Generalist Endorsement and the Standard Exceptional Child Certificate as well as certification in Early Childhood/Early Childhood Special Education Blended.

Post-baccalaureate students seeking to become educators in early childhood/early childhood special education have several options, including a second bachelor’s degree or graduate study. Prior to beginning coursework, all students are strongly encouraged to meet with a program advisor, supply unofficial transcripts and other pertinent documents, and develop an appropriate course of study. Students must apply for admission admission to Teacher Education at the outset, but may be permitted to enroll in course work during the first semester while working to satisfy admission requirements. Students will not be permitted to enroll in upper-division certification courses thereafter without being admitted into Teacher Education.

Advising Appointment Go To: