If you are a member of at least one of these two groups, you may qualify to be a McNair Scholar:
1. Low-Income AND First-Generation Students
- You are considered a first-generation college student if your parents/guardians did not have a four-year degree before you were 18.
- Check the Federal low-income guidelines to determine if your taxable income is within the low-income ranges determined by the U.S. Department of Education.
2. Students Underrepresented in Doctoral Programs
This includes members of the following groups: African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, American Indian/Alaskan Native or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander.
- US citizen or permanent residency.
- Entering the final two years of a Bachelor’s Degree program the fall.
- Expecting to immediately enter an academic/research graduate program upon graduation (not including professional degrees such as MD, JD, DVM, MBA, etc.).
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 OR demonstrate significant academic progress toward a competitive GPA.