Do You Want to Become a Certified Elementary Teacher in Idaho?
The Graduate Certificate in Teaching is a rigorous, accelerated pre-professional program leading to initial teacher certification. The Elementary Pathway allows students who have a Bachelor’s Degree and who meet Graduate College admission requirements to enroll in this Graduate Certificate program that prepares students to qualify for K-8 teacher certification from the Idaho State Department of Education. Select credits from certification program may be applied to a Master’s Degree program that requires separate application to desired Master’s program. Advising and review of transcripts is conducted by faculty in the Department of Curriculum, Instruction and Foundational Studies (CIFS).
Elementary candidates are required to complete one minor elementary-approved endorsement of at least 20 credits. Some content areas require specific courses within those totals. See program coordinators for a list of approved endorsements for the Elementary Pathway. A degree in a subject may not necessarily include the specific content and courses required for certification.
In addition to what is listed in the brochure, applicants must
1. Complete a Criminal History Check, a completed fingerprint card, and pay a $40.00 fee for the background check (check or money order ONLY made out to the Idaho State Department of Education). The steps for this are as follows:
- Pick up fingerprinting card in College of Education, Office of Teacher Education (7th floor)
- After completion of fingerprinting card, submit to College of Education, Office of Teacher Education (7th floor)
- Email Office of Teacher Education for verification of fingerprinting status
- Documentation of passing fingerprints uploaded into Graduate College Application.
2. Complete an Admissions Interview. Once your initial Graduate College Application has been processed, you will be contacted about setting up this interview.
What Are Principals Saying About Boise State Graduates?
I see confidence. I see preparation. I see focus. I do feel more confident in hiring teachers from Boise State.West Ada Principal
I am thoroughly impressed with Boise State. So many of our teachers came through Boise State and I’ve been nothing but impressed with them. I think that the school as a whole is really doing a nice job of producing quality teachers. In fact, my niece wants to teach and I’m trying to talk her into going to Boise State!Boise Principal
I don’t know that I’ve hired anyone who knew the standards so well already and was able to really do cross-curricular types of lessons. She came in really prepared.Middleton Principal
New cohorts begin every semester. The application deadline is the first Friday in February and the third Friday in September.
Gainful Employment Disclosure
The normal time to complete the certificate requirements is 2 years; further information concerning the cost of this certificate can be found at this Gainful Employment Disclosure page. It is important that interested students consult the graduate program coordinator for clarification of this information, especially the role of the certificate in preparing individuals for employment in specific occupations.