The Office of Teacher Education hosted the first Open House event for interested and current students on January 12th in the Student Union Building. The event started with a panel session with Q&A from the audience, followed by an open networking session.
The panel session included the following members:
- Elementary Education program representative, Sherry Dismuke
- Secondary Education program representative, Jim Fredericksen
- Early and Special Education program representative, Deb Carter
- IDoTeach program representative, Laurie Cavey
- Teacher Education Ambassador officer, Ashley Bates
- College of Education scholarships, Sara Fry
During the networking session, students had the opportunity to connect with representatives from the following programs and organizations:
- College of Education Scholarships
- Mathematics for Teachers Success
- TRIO Teacher Prep
- History, Economics
- Art, Music, Theatre Arts
- World Languages and English
- Elementary Education
- Early and Special Education
- Teacher Education Advising
Attending students expressed enthusiasm and excitement for the Open House. One student noted, “The networking opportunities were great. It was also very nice to have all the education staff at one place to answer questions about different aspects of the program. From advisers to professors, I was able to clear up any confusion I had about what I would be doing for the next three semesters.” Another student noted, “The casual feel of the open house was the best part of the event. It was welcoming and made it easy to talk to current students and faculty.”
This was the first Open House hosted by the Office of Teacher Education, and future plans include hosting an open house event each semester. The next event is planned for the first week of the Fall 2017 semester. For more information, please contact Martha Mendoza, Director of Educator Success, email@example.com, (208) 426-1605.
To see more pictures of the event, please click here to visit the Boise State College of Education Facebook page.