The application deadline for Teacher Education and Professional Year applications for Fall 2014 semester was Friday, February 7, 2014 by 5:00 pm. Late applications are not accepted. The next application deadline will be Friday, September 19, 2014 for Spring 2015 admission. Applications for Fall are no longer available.
Before students may take upper-division education courses, students must apply to be admitted into teacher education and to advance through the program, students must then apply for admission to the professional year. Applications are accepted twice per year. All applications for admission to teacher education or advancement into the professional year are due for FALL SEMESTER: First Friday in February and for SPRING SEMESTER: Third Friday in September. Note: Students applying for the Secondary Education Graduate Certification Program (which begins in the summer semester) are required to apply in February. Applications for Teacher Education & the Professional Year are only available on this page during specific windows of time (August/September and January/February). Students must meet required admission criteria (gpa, coursework, test scores, etc.) to be considered for admission. Please DO NOT submit any appeals along with your application – it may be overlooked or inadvertently discarded.
The following items/materials are required to be included with the application into teacher education (these materials are NOT required for Professional Year applications):
1) Letter of application – Addressed to the Teacher Education Program Admissions Committee, describing:
- your professional experiences relevant to a school teaching program
- reasons for interest in the program, including strengths you bring and perspectives about the role of the teacher and the contributions you hope to make as a teacher
- career goals
2) Current resume – if you need assistance creating or updating your resume, please contact the career center
3) Two Professional Reference Forms – Click here to download reference form. If you have a faculty member fill out these forms, you do not require item 4 below.
4) Faculty Names – You will need to provide two names of BSU faculty members who have consented to support your application
5) Praxis 1 test(s) scoresheet – The Praxis 1 Writing is required for all teacher education students. In addition, the Praxis 1 Math is required for all Elementary, Bilingual, Early Childhood, and Special Education students. The test(s) must be completed/passed PRIOR to applying for the teacher education program.
6) Current unofficial transcripts – All undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) transcripts must be provided
7) Interview – Each applicant will be required to participate in a structured interview with members of the Teacher Education Program Admissions Committee. A writing sample is also required at the time of the interview. You will be emailed the details of location, date and time. You will also be notified of the Committee’s decision through BSU email. For more information regarding the interview process, please see our interview information page.